Skip navigation

In MMDS we were given a client to produce a website for, in my case it was the Pine Rivers Veterinary Surgery.

Two new useful tools I learnt for this project were the Mootools JS framework and the CodeIgniter PHP framework.

Design

Initial Mockup

Initial Mockup

Early logo designs, though a simpler 2 colour design was used because these were perceived to be too detailed and too "swiss"

Early logo designs, though a simpler 2 colour design was used because these were perceived to be too detailed and too "swiss"

First XHTML/CSS mockup

First XHTML/CSS mockup

Final design choice with semi-complete content

Final design choice with semi-complete content

Examples for Mootools and Google Maps will be added in separate posts for better indexing.

Advertisements

I know it’s been a while since my last post but with uni ramping up I really didn’t have time to write anything new, however, I do come back with more info and ramblings to share.

First up, you can now follow me on twitter.

Secondly, this semester saw me undertake MMDS1400 at UQ which was an intro to web course. The next post will include details on that project.

and lastly, the UQ ICC website is nearing completion for a semester 2 release date. The final choice for the development was influenced by what I had learnt in MMDS. It will involve a PHP MVC framework called Codeigniter and UI enhancement covered by an open-source framework Mootools.

NB: The title is¬† reference joke from Valve’s physics game “Portal”, though I have being doing science… if you count dumping a tub of frozen CO2 into my parents pools as being science…

During a very boring week at college I acquired a novelty USB rocket launcher. The idea of being able to shoot people from the comfort of ones desk was appealing at first but became old fast, partially due to the sheer difficulty of aiming.

Initially I sticky taped my webcam to the top of the launcher, it made aiming slightly easier but also got me thinking; All I’m doing is watching a live feed and clicking buttons to aim, how hard could it be to make this happen on someone else’s computer remotely? After a bit of digging I came accross a piece of software, Roborealm, which one person had used for similar project.

After about three days of tinkering I finally had a working prototype… constructed entirely out of blutac and sticky tape…

More on the software side later.

Once it was fully operational and tested I added a 5mW laser diode for increased aim, though in actuality the ordinance being foam darts, the launcher isn’t that accurate to begin with but it does make it look ominous.

Version 1

Version 1

The laser diode is USB powered by a spliced motorola USB cable, conveniently the voltage output of USB ports is identical to that of the operating voltage of the diode.

Laser diode uncovered

Laser diode uncovered

Once everything was proven working the final model was built using heat shrink and cable ties.

Laptop - Launcher rig

Laptop (ASUS N10J) - Launcher rig

For maximum portability I now have the launcher connected to my laptop. On the screen you can see the Roborealm interface.

Roborealm is actually a very simple application to grasp particularily in simple projects as this, it automatically handles device drivers, server commands, and video feeds.

In this case, the only work I needed to do was to select the device to use, how to handle commands (in the form of the launcher’s ‘move’ variable) and modify the control webpage to accomodate all the function needed.

To see this first hand I’ve supplied all necessary files, though you will have to download and install Roborealm youself, also this is specifically for this particular USB Rocket Launcher. You can use other brands/models but slight changes in Roborealm will be needed for it to work.

Download Files

Final product, the launcher is connected to the laptop in the foreground, and the desktop is controlling the launcher via the wireless. A better quality recording coming soon.

The latest on the ICC website is the final revision of the main banner.

Final draft

Final draft

ss3

Update on design from Nathan’s recommendations.

It does make sense, aesthetically, to remove the gradient and centre the banner.

Also the font has been changed to a serif font to reflect the prestige of the organisation.

After all the craziness of the holidays I’ve finally been able to get back to working on the ICC website.

Originally I was intending on using a CMS like Drupal or Joomla but while setting them up it dawned on me that their operation may still¬† be complicated for the intended administrator of the website. From this I went back to adapting my original design and this is where I’m at:

formal-design

While screwing around with fonts for the banner I came across this little gem:

relaxed-design

However it makes the ICC look like a Getaway-holiday business.

Initial design that I was asked to base my design on:

The President's Vision (Awesome Paint-job Rags)

The President's Vision (Awesome Paint-job Rags)

From this I created a quick layout of what I thought would be best.

My quick mockup

My quick mockup

A few days back I was asked to see what I could do with an outdated logo from the University of Qld’s Inter-college Council. The ICC is essentially an organisation formed from representatives of the residential colleges of UQ and are responsible for managing certain special events that take place on campus. These involve sporting, cultural and social events and there has been a demand for a website to be established for the listing of details of such events. I will be designing the full website but for now I’ve just got the preliminary logo design.

icc-logo-budgie1

This image was created using Inkscape in roughly 5mins.

NB: Still not sure what “Reckil Sune Shetin” means…